Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I feel like the Duggars....except with 18 less children

The Duggars make homemade laundry soap...and (now) so do I. If I could only have the patience of those parents too. Have you ever seen that show? Wow. That's all I can say. I'm not into the whole 'fill your quiver until it completely bursts and quivers fall all over the ground' thing but they are pretty inspiring in so many ways.

Anyhow.

I made my second batch of homemade laundry soap tonight. Last month I made it with Katrina. We split the batch and I finally ran out of it today. Here are some of the benefits of making my own soap:

it cleans very well
it makes our clothes smell great
it makes the house smell fresh while it's cooking
it requires only 4 ingredients and about 10 minutes of actual work
it's super cheap (it's like 25+ cents per load for Tide and less than 2 cents per load with this recipe)
it's fun

Katrina and I kinda made up our own recipe the first time (by combining two recipes we found online). This one I sorta followed one a little closer....I thought I'd try it a few different ways before I determine which one works best for us.

Here is the recipe:

water (a bunch....about 3 gallons)
1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax

....all of which are found in the laundry/cleaning isle of Publix (Walmart doesn't have everything)....

Grate the soap (or cut into small pieces using a knife or food processor) and melt in about 8 cups of nearly boiling water. It took about 20 minutes for it to fully melt. Then add 1 cup washing soda and 1 cup borax and mix well. Pour into a container with a lid (I use a 12 liter storage container I bought at Walmart for about $4), then add the remaining water (about 2.5 more gallons) and stir well.

It turns into a gel....so you'll need to stir it each time before using. Use 1 cup per load.

No comments: