Sunday, May 24, 2009

Taggies

Lately I've been doing a bit of sewing. I saw a Taggie brand blanket about a year ago and the idea stuck with me to make one for David. A taggie blanket is basically a small blanket about 12 x 12 inches with tags of ribbon sticking out of the edges. I attempted to make one for David for Christmas because he has always loved playing with the tags on everything - blankets, quilts, shirts, even his underwear. It was a hit, he loves his blanket and sleeps with it every night. It's much more manageable than a larger blanket and easy to carry around (if needed).

Fast forward 5 months, it seems that a lot of my friends are pregnant. So I've started making these as gifts. I am that friend who loves to make things as gifts, rather than buy stuff. I've always been this way - I self taught myself to crochet and made my first blanket for Angie's baby girl when I was 19. I've since all but given up on crocheting and knitting - it takes SOOOO long. One big problem with making gifts is that I don't necessarily finish all of my projects on time....or even close to being on time. You'll see one prime example at the end of this post. I'm working on my timing!

Since I've made David's taggie blanket and these below I've begun seeing them all over the place, there are blankets and balls and books with tags on them. I am sure to explain to friends what they are, because I've had more than one friend look at me oddly - not understanding why I'm giving them a blanket that is one foot square! It's all about the tags, people.

Here are a few pictures of some of the ones I've made recently as gifts.


Here are two non-taggie blanket related pictures, but I thought I'd post them anyhow.

This isn't a taggie blanket, but Mykell if you are reading this - this is the quilt I made for Joey in September of 2008. You'll get it as soon as I can find it and mail it to you! :)
David helped me paint this old piano bench of Brad's moms. It was old and falling a part. We took off the top and cut a new piece of wood to fit it. Rather than a piano bench it's now just a table which holds his tv in his playroom. Of course I didn't think to take a picture of the finished product. I will. Later.

David is my budding artist (wearing a 4-wheeling shirt). He likes all things art (and dirty - like dirt biking and 4-wheeling and go kart riding). Just like his mama.

2 comments:

Rebecca Zoumberos said...

Thank you for your comment on the NYC session. Bethany you are so talented and creative! What a special gift you have:) Time I believe is one of our most valuable possessions so a hand-made gift speaks volumes! By the way - did you ever receive my e-mail response?

Marthaandme said...

These are gorgeous. I know my kids would have loved these when they were little.