Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Squash and Zucchini

We spent Saturday a couple weeks ago with some friends (Katrina, Randle and their girls). We had a great time – David got to run wild in their yard (they live in the country) he got to pick up the eggs from the chicken coop, feed the chickens worms, hold their baby chicks and duck (they were only 4 days old), play with their beautiful girls, watch as a train ran nearly through their backyard, play Connect Four, while Brad and Randle went hiking (snooping) to look at some land for sale near their home, and Katrina and I planted our seeds for our gardens. They even invited us to stay for dinner…and Katrina can COOK. She is amazing, seriously. I wish I could cook as well as she does. I’ve tasted several of her dishes and they are all so good. This one comes from her….it’s so super simple, but nothing that I ever would have probably tried since my family isn’t big on squashes. However, Brad really like it too….so last night I made it and it was good!

Roasted Squash and Zucchini

3-4 zucchini (sliced)
3-4 yellow squash (sliced)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or spray butter)
Salt and Pepper
Garlic powder

Place the vegetables in a baking dish and coat in a small amount of olive oil or spray butter. Add freshly ground pepper and garlic powder, then a generous amount of salt. I actually had to re-salt once it was cooked, but if you salt enough in the beginning it might be better that way. Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until cooked to the texture you want.

No comments: