Thursday, May 8, 2008

Garden

Okay, so this year my garden isn't exactly what I was hoping for. We live on what used to be a mountain, so there's only about 6 inches of clay before we start hitting some serious unmovable rock. I know I'll have to get all of my tomatoes and peppers in the ground eventually, but for now they are in pots.

In addition to the tomatoes and peppers, I have an eggplant plant, Italian parsley, basil, cilantro, rosemary, lavender, chives, fennel, blueberries and strawberries. I think fennel tastes and smells horrible, but I bought it because apparently butterflies like to eat it and it's a host bush for them, so hopefully we'll start seeing a bunch of caterpillars on it.

We just started getting some small white flowers on the strawberry plants (see below), but don't yet have any fruit. The blueberries have lots of un-ripe berries and the grape vine is covered with grapes that are about 1/4 the size of a pin head. I've kept telling David that he can't pick anything without asking...he's already excited about everything, so I hope to have some fruit/veggies getting ripe pretty soon.I know irises aren't edible, but they are beautiful right now and I had to post this picture - they make great cut flowers right now.

No comments: