Friday, December 9, 2011

DIY Paper Christmas Garland

While pursuing the internet this week I saw some cute Christmas garlands made of paper.  So I decided to make my own.  

Here's what you'll need:

- Cardstock in whatever color you choose (I used red and lime green) - I used 9 sheets that were 12"x12"
- A hole punch, the one I used is 1" (I wouldn't go any smaller than 3/4" as the smaller they are the harder they will be to push through your sewing machine)
- Ssewing machine
- Thread

I used my hole punch to cut out about 6 million lime green and red circles.  The picture below shows the circles cut from just the edges of the paper you see...you can fold the paper in half and then in half again to get to the center of the paper.  


Line your circles up a few at a time on your sewing machine so you can easily slip the next paper circle under the needle.


I kept my stash of extras right in front of my sewing machine so I could quickly grab the next batch.


Here is the finished garland.   I sewed several pieces (rather than having one huge garland) and just twisted the thread around the branch where I had left off with the end of the last garland.





This is the skeleton of the paper I used...I'm going to use it to decorate some Christmas packages.


No comments: