Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Sparrow

This weekend we were working outside in the yard when Garfield ran across the street with a dead (or so I thought) blue bird in his mouth. Cats just love to bring their kill home and drop it in front of you. Supposedly they want praise...he didn’t get that from me. He dropped it under the truck and I was able to get him away from the bird and into the house so I could deal with the bird. Before I could move it David saw the bird and knelt down beside the truck and just looked at it for a few minutes. I kept trying to get him to go out back but he insisted on staying there - he wanted to look at it. For all practical purposes the bird looked like it was just sleeping. He kept saying “Oh, this birdy wants it’s mama and daddy” over and over again. David has so much compassion for an almost 4 year old…from animals to people, he loves them all and wants to take care of anything or anyone who is sick.

Finally, I got him to agree to leave the bird and when he turned around he had a tear running down his cheek. (This would be one of those 'break your heart' moments). To this point he hadn’t cried – he was only talking to the bird. I asked him why he was sad and he started sobbing...like uncontrollable crying. Through his sobs I could make out that he was sad because the bird wanted it’s mama and daddy. We went inside and he just laid on me and cried for about 10 minutes before Brad or I could console him. We finally talked a little about the bird, then he asked for some chocolate milk. At this point he was emotionally ready to go back outside…chocolate milk fixes everything. He’ll tell you so, ask him.

Before David made it outside Brad called for him to come out front. Apparently the little bird was playing dead. Brad saw it get up, hop across the ground and eventually leave our yard. David was thrilled that the bird was okay and going to find it’s mama and daddy. I guess God had other plans for the little bird.

Thinking about this weekend and the bird reminded me of a verse in the bible: “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6-7, NIV)

In Matthew 10:29 it says “not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.”

Sometimes I find myself getting discouraged over little things (and sometimes big things). But how can I be that way when my heavenly Father watches over each little sparrow….and I know He loves and cares for me? We can rest assured in the knowledge that He is watching us. In His eyes no one is insignificant and I believe He is using this verse to remind me of that.

1 comment:

Cassady Family said...

That is such an amazing witness! Don't you love it when God uses everyday things to remind us stuff!

I understand all of his tears. Natalie cried to two days off and on over the Lassie episode where Timmy gives Lassie to Jimmy!